Sunday, January 6, 2008

Stereotype


"I saw a man in the plaza with beard, I'm 100% sure he was Iranian."

And this is from a person who didn't even know people in Iran speak a language called Persian or Farsi, not Arabic.

And this comes from a man who thought Iranians are Arab, till I enlightened him by the fact that there are four countries in the middle east which are not Arab; Iran, Turkey, Israel & sadly I forgot the forth one myself...

And this comes from a man who (I'm 100% sure – like himself) doesn't know the difference between Muslim and Arab

Not that I mind you understand....

I'm far away from having any kind of care for people's race or nationality or color or colour. I respect all people regardless of their race or whatsoever...

Generally far away from taking people seriously – and especially this kind. This was one of probably millions who...

Not that I want to change people or their behavior or the outcome, what I wrote here definitely and not probably gets lost in the hyperspace and buried down under thousands and thousands of layers of commercial ads and finally layers of indifference

What pisses me is how people allow themselves to judge others with the least contextual knowledge, with no accurate information and by their look.

What pisses me off is stereotyping

"People are lousy observers of their own behavior" Corry Doctorow

Enough said....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just a quick comment:
Middle east consits of 19 countries and three autonomous region (west bank, Gaza strip and Sinai penisula). There are only three non-Arabic countries between them which are Iran,Turky and Israel which UN conseder the last one, Israel, as a Hebrew-Arabic country.
cheers