Saturday, June 23, 2007

It's not Always the Case that You Get What You Deserve, Part1

I received my mark for second assignment for the subject Data & Network Communication, I was shocked by the mark. I expected something like HD which is equivalent to A or the first grade of mark but i simply failed...
I really don't know why 'cus I haven't received feedback on it. But after getting the mark I started a discussion on MUSO (Monash University Study Online) here is the discussion, I will post rest of conversation as I receive....
Compiled Messages
Topic : General Discussion Date : Thu Jun 07 09:15:37 EST 2007
Subject : feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Alavian, Siavash
i recieved only my mark on assignment 2 which is really BAD...
but i haven't recieved any feedback or email via muso.
my mark was a real shock, just wondering if the overperformance is the same as me ...
anybody recieved feedback or email via muso?!?
Topic : General Discussion Date : Thu Jun 07 12:33:24 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Kung, Yue
i have received my result too
its ok for me..not too bad.
but I haven't get any feedback via muso or email too
Topic : General Discussion Date : Thu Jun 07 14:05:53 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Prabasi, Samir
I received shockingly bad marks for Assignment 2, and I have not received any feedback or emails regarding it either.
Topic : General Discussion Date : Thu Jun 07 15:03:23 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Lewis, Keith
what was the average makr for assignment 2?
Topic : General Discussion Date : Thu Jun 07 15:07:12 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Kung, Yue
Is it that many of the students get a BAD score or even a fail on it?
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 09:27:32 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Alavian, Siavash
I got very bad mark & failed...that's why i posted this on muso to see how others went but seems no one likes to talk about his/her mark...
i got HD on previous assignment but i failed this one... either of the mark should be revised again other wise this is gonna be a lovely joke!!!
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 11:32:33 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Li, Vincent
im in a similar situation, did well in ass1, didnt fail this but did horrible none the less. I wasnt expecting a high mark, but what I got was still worse than expected
the assignment questions were too vague...
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 12:59:55 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Alavian, Siavash
If low marks are because of ambiguity, they should have provided assessment criteria sheet which they didn’t…
Or maybe we answered wrong…
i remember one of the posts here somebody said the assignment was designed in this way so the tutors mark them ....on that time i didn't understand in the end we- the student will pay the price of this ambiguity...
the best thing is to wait to get feedback which Jeff said will be sent via MUSO …I’m wondering why they didn’t release it simultaneously…
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 16:00:22 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Chui, Mabel
I've got my feedback yesterday already (was sent to me at around 16:40, haven't you got yours yet?
Yes I totally agree that the specification of the assignment is too ambiguous which leads us to have our marks unnecessarily deducted. What irritates me is that I know I got my marks deducted due to several parts that I have failed to include in the assignment such as, evaluation of at least 2 alternatives in the selection of switches, test and maintenance cost, cost estimate of at least 2 LAN solutions etc, I was like hello?! those were never stated necessary in the assignment sheet! If a criteria sheet was provided then possibly every student would have easily got a HD for this assignment but sadly not many tutors do that. Personally I think this is too harsh for a first-year subject (for first-year Comp Sci students) but if it was specifically for 3rd-year students (CSE3318,BUS3150 etc) then it's a different story.
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 17:04:36 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Lewis, Keith
even third year soft eng students sadly don't get much experience in developing detailed costings as part of their uni degrees. That said, feedback would be appreciated.
Thankfully I passed, so I will not be contesting the marks, but I was expecting a higher mark.
Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 17:12:13 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Alavian, Siavash
my care is not passing or failing really
i wanna get what I DESERVE... & i know this is less than what i deserve...

Topic : General Discussion Date : Fri Jun 08 17:09:25 EST 2007
Subject : Re:feedback on assigment 2 Auther : Alavian, Siavash
are you serious!!!?
what are you talking about, how are we supposed to know about these criteria when we were left blind with a chaotically organised assignment…
I do remember Jeff said we don’t have to include ongoing cost in the assignment but now you are saying maintenance cost…
This is what Jeff said: “... Expenses after setting up is not part of the costs you are budgetting for.”
Subject: Re:Assignment 2 - $30,000
Date: 13 May 2007 22:38

No comments: